Friday, March 15, 2013

French Toast Muffins


French Toast Muffins

A new muffin recipe to add to the list and a major bonus, they are only 2 points as compared to most of my muffins which are 3 points each! These were very good, but I will say that they had a little different texture than a normal muffin. No flour in them, but with the 4 egg whites, they had just a bit more of a souffle-esque kind of feel, very much like french toast...that kind of eggy-bready kind of taste. I really enjoyed them. I re-heated one this morning for my breakfast and it was just as good today as it was yesterday. If I wanted to use an extra point, they would be really good dipped in a little warm maple syrup. Yum!! Don't be scared by the ingredient list, I was a bit intimidated myself, but I found everything (except the sugar free syrup) at Aldi...even the Stevia packets and almond milk. And here's a little fun tip, the almond milk comes in a bigger carton, and you only need a half cup, so if you aren't going to use the rest of it (my husband loves it and was more than willing to finish off our carton) but if your family won't drink it or put it on cereal, pour it into ice cube trays, then when frozen, toss them in a freezer bag and you'll have them ready for the next time you need almond milk, then you won't have to buy it again! I do that with buttermilk and other liquid ingredients that I don't use too often.

Ingredients:
½ c. unsweetened almond milk
½ c. unsweetened applesauce
½ c. sugar free maple syrup
4 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla (or maple…I just couldn’t find maple) extract
2 c. old fashioned oats
12-14 packets Stevia
2 tsp. baking powder
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. cinnamon 

Directions:
1.   Heat oven to 350. Spray 14 muffin cups with cooking spray.
2.   Put all liquid ingredients in a blender and blend well. Then add all the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
3.   Pour into 14 muffin cups, dividing batter evenly. Fill each cup a little over halfway full.
4.   Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  

Yields 14 pieces – WWP+ 2 per muffin

No comments:

Post a Comment